Retail Supply Chain Officer SC8/NOA (m/f)
WFP - World Food Programme
World Food Programme is recruiting a Retail Supply Chain Officer SC8/NOA (m/f), to be based in Beira, Mozambique.
- Scope and expected outputs of the position: Under the overall supervision of Head of Supply Chain and in close collaboration with the Programme unit – CBT, IT, Finance, SCOPE, the officer will work on the overall Sub-Office operational strategy including the value-voucher scale-up plans. In addition to WFP’s continued CBT scale up, WFP and UNICEF are proposing a joint approach using a vulnerability-based targeting mechanism to meet household food and NFI (primarily hygiene) needs in areas with functional markets (and presence of the WFP setup retailer network during first emergency phase) through a value voucher mechanism to bridge the critical service gap for vulnerable households
- To collect, analyze and report on information to maximize efficiency of the logistics operations and activities
- Monitor the performance of cash-based transfer (CBT) implementation upon the shift from in-kind food distribution, including the timely establishment of new retail outlets and their operations with respect to the established scale-up plan
- Apply the retailer engagement practices to streamline the process and allow for smooth scale-up and future management of retailer contracts to improve negotiating efficiencies
- Actively engage with the local business community to ensure continuity of service and inclusion of additional actors as required
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (Programme, Supply Chain, IT) and external stakeholders (cooperating partners and retail operators) to ensure alignment and timely readiness of the scale up plan of shifting assistance modality from in-kind to cash-based transfers (CBT)
- Closely coordinate with the Retail Supply Chain Team in HQ to ensure alignment with corporate guidance, as well as to ensure that best practices/lessons learnt are captured
- Follow-up with retailers to ensure all commodities are available at the stores at any given point and are aligned with WFP quality expectations
- Create a monitoring schedule, conduct quality checks and ensure follow up with retailers to improve overall quality levels of all commodities
- Regularly assess the existing retail and storage capacities at store level, suggested and implement improvements
- Communicate to the contracted partners on the scale-up plan allowing them to schedule their construction plans accordingly
- Assist in the development of the retailer engagement strategy looking at enhancing market conditions and experiences for beneficiaries
- Monitor the design concurrence and progress of retail outlets construction. Take necessary preventive/corrective actions with respect to the rental agreements. Identify potential obstacles and inform involved parties of any expected delays
- Support and get involved with providing training and guidance to retail operators on standard retail operating procedures, reporting requirements as well as measurement of KPI’s
- Assist in the finalization of retail service contracts and preparation of the future Pass/Fail process - as required
- Lead the wholesale and retail price collecting mechanism, analyze prices and lead price negotiations with retailers
- Support team in creating/enhancing the current price negotiation process
- Analyze current retail contracts and be open to suggest renegotiations as and when needed to enhance efficiencies. Review historical pricing data to identify patterns (seasonal, special occasions, etc.)
- Monitor the availability of goods in the market in order to anticipate shortages/over supply allowing adjustments on WFP response modality (shift between in-kind food distribution and cash-based transfer)
- Perform other relevant duties as required
- Advanced University degree in a relevant field: Economics, Logistics, Supply Chain, Commerce, Business Administration, legal or accounting, or other relevant fields
- Experience in retail/wholesale as well as managing/understanding of retail store operations, storage, replenishment, process improvements, cost calculations, other store related activities
- Retail sector experience with large retail chains, wholesalers and distributors in operational and strategic Supply Chain in dynamic industries (i.e., Consumer Goods, Fashion & Apparel, Food & Beverages, Pharmaceutical or other relevant sectors)
- WFP experience is highly desirable
- Fluency (level C) in English language and Portuguese
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
- The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
- The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
- Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.