Johns Hopkins University
Johns Hopkins University is recruiting a Resident Advisor, to be based in Maputo, Mozambique.
- The Institute for International Programs at Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health (IIP-JHU) is collaborating with the Mozambique National Institute of Statistics, the National Institute of Health and the Ministry of Health to implement the Countrywide Mortality Surveillance for Action (COMSA) project in Mozambique. The project aims to develop and implement a sample registration system for mortality and cause of death surveillance. IIP-JHU is looking to recruit a technical Resident Advisor to assist the in-country partners in the implementation of the project
- To provide day to day technical assistance and guidance for the implementation of the Countrywide Mortality Surveillance for Action (COMSA) in Mozambique.
- The incumbent will provide day to day technical assistance and capacity-building support for the development and implementation of COMSA in Mozambique. He/she will serve as the full-time in-country representative of the Institute for International Programs (IIP) for the project and, as such, will assist the national COMSA implementing institutions to implement the project per the agreed upon protocol and ethical guidelines as required by the Institutional Review Board in Mozambique and at JHU. He/she will assist in seeking response to questions arising during implementation, advise on possible course corrections, engage the broader stakeholders, and maintain strong linkage with the central team of investigators at JHU/Baltimore
- Further responsibilities will include supporting management of project plans, and deliverables, and budgets, overseeing implementation, and facilitating program and financial reporting. He/she will be responsible for coordination and oversight of activities carried out by local COMSA “home” institution(s) Working closely with the project home institutions, he/she will continuously assess capacity building needs within the project “home” institution and among other participating stakeholders, and work with IIP to plan and implement appropriate activities to build and sustain that capacity Together with the home institutions he/she will ensure involvement in the COMSA by government stakeholders including Ministry of Health, Ministry of Justice as well as relevant development partners
- The incumbent will work independently but report to the project Principal Investigators at IIP-JHU as well as work closely with project investigators both at country level and at IIP in Baltimore
- At least Masters-level degree in demography, epidemiology, statistics or relevant Public Health related field
- Minimum five years of related work experience in low- and middle-income countries, including supporting government institutions in data collection, analysis and use, and capacity building
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Portuguese and English and ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Doctoral degree in demography, epidemiology, statistics, or related quantitative field preferred
- Only short listed applicants will be contacted