Business Development Services Portfolio Manager (PM)
TechnoServe is recruiting a Business Development Services Portfolio Manager (PM), to be based in Nampula, Mozambique.
- Program Overview:
- The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) anticipates funding the five-year Promoting Market Systems, Innovation and Resilience (PREMIER) activity in Mozambique. The PREMIER activity will facilitate the development of an inclusive, resilient, and sustainable market system to boost agriculture-led economic growth in the Nacala corridor of northern Mozambique. The activity will use a market systems approach and will focus on minimizing barriers that disadvantage the vulnerable, women and youth and exclude them from economic opportunities within the agriculture sector. This activity is anticipated to cover a combination of staple and high value crops
- The activity will implement solutions including:
- Enhancing access to finance across sectors for the rural poor and SMEs
- Enhancing risk mitigation management
- Building the capacity of smallholder producers and agribusinesses
- Increasing incomes for smallholder farmers
- Establishing strong and transparent relationships between actors
- Expanding employment and entrepreneurship opportunities, especially for youth and women
- Position Overview:
- The Technical Team will be responsible for facilitating support to primarily private sector actors through three main components: a) exploit attractive market opportunities where the Nacala Corridor has a comparative advantage, b) catalyze and expand local agro-processing industries, and c) work with and through local third-party service providers as delivery partners. With strategic guidance from the COP, the technical team comprises the Technical Director and five Portfolio Managers (PMs). The PMs manage relationships with clients and related local delivery partners to reach Premier’s objectives for inclusive supply chains, food processing, route to market distribution, business development services, and access to finance
- Primary Functions and Responsibilities:
- The Business Development Services Portfolio Manager will lead the Premier activities to build the capabilities of local third-party service partners to provide required services to agri-business within the Nacala corridor. In order to achieve this, the responsibilities of the Business Development Services PM will include the following:
- Define and execute a strategy for the portfolio objective working with private sector partners, public sector actors and stakeholders to create sustainable changes to the relevant market systems
- Identify and engage local, third-party service providers – such as private firms, government entities, BDS providers, financial institutions, and educational institutes – to improve and expand services they already provide, and test new services that will support the growth of agribusiness clients, with the assistance of Premier’s co-investment facility (Local Partner Investment Fund - LPIF)
- Working with the other Portfolio Managers identify the advisory services and assistance needs of established agricultural enterprises for their Core Business Technical Assistance (CBTA) plans and use this to inform the strategy of the BDS providers
- In collaboration with third-party service providers develop general CBTA learning modules for small and transitioning agribusiness segments including those in the middle of the supply chain and those that provide agricultural and technology services
- Attract, select, and engage agribusiness clients, who do not fall under the perview of the other Portfolio
- Managers, to receive CBTA including finalizing selection criteria, managing a communication and promotion campaign, launch an expression of interest campaign, and identify and select clients
- Oversee the delivery of CBTA training modules and after-care support via Premier’s delivery partners
- Contribute to Premier networking and relationship management with private and public actors to promote
- Premier objectives and facilitate wider adoption and crowding in
- Drive monitoring, evaluation and learning across the portfolio through collection and analysis of data to measure performance and impact
- Master’s level Degree in either Business, Economics, Agriculture, Finance or equivalent
- 5 years of experience or more as the technical manager for donor-funded value chain, M4P, and/or Market Systems Development projects
- Demonstrated success using facilitation in at least one of the following: the USAID value chain approach, M4P, or Market Systems Development approach, which led to greater competitiveness and inclusiveness in markets
- Fluency in English and Portuguese
- Demonstrated experience with conducting value chain analysis and developing value chain work plans is desired
- Strong private sector market orientation, entrepreneurial and innovative thinker.
- Detail orientation, including strong organizational, analytical, and quantitative skills
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other administrative applications
- Communicative and open to exchange and learning
- Required Languages:
- Fluency in Portuguese with excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Proficiency in English is preferred
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
- We encourage all qualified female and individual candidates, who share TechnoServe's vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
- With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
- We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 202 785 4515. More information on TechnoServe at: Twitter: @TechnoServe
Perfil da empresa
- TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
- Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
TechnoServe believes that achieving prosperity requires the full and free participation of women and girls. Our Gender Policy and our commitment to programmatic excellence requires that we involve, empower, and benefit both women and men, both at the level of our beneficiaries and at the level of our staff.
- By joining our team, you will benefit from a respectful working environment of women and men that believe in the professional development of each one.
This vacancy is no longer accepting applications