Accounting Associate (m/f)
Chemonics is recruiting an Accounting Associate (m/f), to be based in Maputo, Mozambique.
- Project: Global Health Supply Chain - Procurement and Supply Management (PSM)
- The purpose of the Global Health Supply Chain (GHSC) – Procurement and Supply Management (PSM) project is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities in support of USG-funded public health initiatives around the world. The project provides direct procurement and supply chain management support to the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), and Population and Reproductive Health. In supporting USG-funded global health activities, PSM develops and manages a wide array of services for health commodity procurement and related systems strengthening technical assistance encompassing different elements of a comprehensive supply chain
- At the country level, PSM supports country strategies and priorities that fall under the following three project objectives:
- Global Commodity Procurement and Logistics
- Systems Strengthening Technical Assistance
- Global Collaboration to Improve Long-Term Availability of Health Commodities
- The Accounting Associate will provide accounting and bookkeeping support to the GHSC-PSM project in Mozambique in compliance with Chemonics procedures and USAID regulations
- Supervision: The Accounting Associate reports directly to the Finance and Administration manager or his/her designee
- Working Conditions/Duration of Assignment : This is a long-term position for the life of the contract based in Maputo, Mozambique
- Receive and manage invoices from vendors to ensure timely payment by the project.
- Prepare documentation for all payment transactions, including but not limited to vouchers, checks, transfer forms and online banking requests. Ensure that appropriate documentation and approvals are obtained
- Prepare the back-up documents and do the initial review of the travel advances and expense reports. Liaise with requestors to ensure accuracy and readiness
- Enter accounting transactions into the accounting software (Abacus).
- Maintain the project’s accounting files system (Physical and electronic). Make sure all vouchers are in order, completed properly, and have proofs of payment/copy of checks attached
- Coordinate the scheduling of scanning of the accounting files and conduct as necessary
- Negotiate the best exchange rate with the bank as requested
- Prepare value added tax (VAT) exemption requests, making sure supporting documentation is complete.
- Proactively liaise with MoH, tax authorities, and vendors, as needed. Maintain up-to-date tracker of VAT requests, and hardcopy and electronic files of VAT requests. Regularly update the F&A Manager and Operations Director
- Maintain the income and social security tax files for the project, recorded and paid in timely manner
- Explain generally accepted accounting principles, USAID and Chemonics regulations to staff and consultants, as necessary
- Comply with all USAID, Chemonics, and PSM project policies and procedures.
- Perform other general bookkeeping duties as needed and other duties as may be assigned
- Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field
- 3 years of demonstrated experience and success
- Knowledge of USAID financial and management systems, regulations, and reporting requirements preferred
- Experience with accounting software
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Working ability in Portuguese and English required
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted