Management Partner (m/f)
The Aspen Institute, AMP Health
The Aspen Institute, AMP Health is recruiting a Management Partner (m/f), to be based in Maputo, Mozambique.
- AMP supports governments to build visionary and effective teams
- We are committed to the vision of a world where governments and societies prioritize, promote, and protect people’s health and well-being. Governments play a critical role in addressing complex problems and bringing this vision to reality, which is why we work with public sector teams to help them develop the leadership and management capabilities needed to achieve ambitious goals
- We believe that teams are at the heart of a government’s ability to deliver quality services. Talented individuals cannot thrive within institutions that confine them. The best policies cannot lead to meaningful change without the backing of a competent team that can execute on them. But teams – small groups of dedicated, capable people – have the power to do extraordinary things
- Our approach combines embedded mentoring and capability development; experiential learning through interactive in-person and online training; executive coaching; curated self-directed learning; and peer exchange across countries to build highly effective public sector teams
- We are currently supporting government teams in five countries: Ghana, Malawi, Sierra Leone, Togo, and Zambia, with planned partnerships in 3 additional countries. AMP Health is a non-profit partnership run by a global team based in Johannesburg, South Africa and Washington, DC, and has a link to the Aspen Institute.
- For more information, please visit www.amphealth.org
- Interested in an entrepreneurial opportunity to partner with a ministry of health to catalyze change and improve health systems? Believe that effective leadership & management are essential for lasting impact? Eager to apply your private sector experience to drive sustainable development? Join AMP Health for an exciting opportunity!
- Location: Multiple locations in Africa: Monrovia, Liberia; Lilongwe, Malawi; Lusaka, Zambia; Maputo, Mozambique
- Start Date: Flexible, dependent upon program start dates
- Duration of Placement: 2 years, with potential to extend; some positions are 1-year roles, with potential to extend
- Level of Effort: Full-time
- Each MP will work with national leaders to improve their leadership and management capabilities necessary to achieve their objectives on high priority initiatives related to strengthening specific programs within the Ministry of Health (MoH). Based within the MoH, the MP will work closely with the specific programs or departments relevant to Primary Health Care, with oversight from senior MoH officials and AMP Health
- The MP will serve as a resource and thought partner for the MoH focusing on strengthening leadership and management capabilities on a day-to-day basis with a focus on highest priorities and challenges. Specific MP work will be determined in collaboration with the MoH, but could include: strategic planning; prioritization; the use of data for decision-making; program design and work planning; financial modeling/investment cases; coalition building (including with the private sector); and guidance on governance and coordination across the MoH
- This role will require motivation, flexibility, cultural sensitivity, adaptability, patience, a business-minded attitude, and lack of ego. Successful candidates will balance their proven business skills and results-driven approach with creativity, savvy, humility, and a commitment to building strong trust-based relationships with MoH counterparts. MPs should have an entrepreneurial spirit as well as a passionate interest in – and commitment to – improving leadership & management capabilities towards the ultimate goal of a world where governments and societies prioritize, promote, and protect people’s health and well-being. Candidates are expected to have the following experience and qualifications:
- An experienced mid-career professional with a minimum of 8 years of professional experience, preferably a combination of private sector and public service managerial experience
- Experience working in low-resource settings required; experience working outside of your home country desired; experience working/living in Africa preferred
- Experience with capacity building, training, and/or skills transfer required; experience in change management preferred
- Demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships in a multi-stakeholder environment with varying levels of authority including senior leaders required; additional experience within the public sector preferred
- Excellent analytical and conceptual problem-solving skills, including both qualitative and quantitative approaches
- Relevant advanced degree (e.g., MBA, Master of Public Policy, Master of International Relations, Master of Public Health)
- Advanced skills in Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading, and writing); fluency in French and Portuguese desirable, required for certain positions
- Willingness and ability to live and work in an AMP Health partner country for up to two years, with national and international travel up to 25% of the time
- The MP role offers a direct opportunity to develop deep, trusting relationships and apply creative thinking to meaningful work alongside structured support from AMP Health’s partner and mentorship networks. This is an outstanding opportunity to strengthen leadership & management capacity, working in close partnership with a Ministry of Health, in order to drive health system improvements. A competitive salary and health insurance will be offered. Management Partners are hired by local entities on contract to the Aspen Institute and are not Aspen Institute employees
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
- Please note that for shortlisted candidates, the final round of interviews will take place either in the host country or by videoconference with Ministry of Health staff. AMP Health is actively recruiting for a standing pool of candidates, to be drawn from as new programs become AMP Health partners
- The Aspen Institute, founded in 1950, is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering enlightened leadership and open-minded dialogue. Through seminars, policy programs, conferences and leadership development initiatives, the Institute and its international partners seek to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute is headquartered in Washington, DC, and also has a campus in Aspen, Colorado. Its international network includes partner Aspen Institutes in Berlin, Rome, Lyon, Tokyo, New Delhi, and Bucharest, and leadership programs in Africa, Central America, and India.